

**Collie Club of Colorado**  
**Board Meeting**  
February 23, 2017

Meeting brought to order at 7:34 pm

Attending: Kelly Neeley, Kathy Mesler, Peggy Heywood, Chuck Crone, Donine Schwartz, and Cindy Cornelius

No President's Report

No Treasurer's Report

Peggy : I have the check book balance. It was \$6,396.76 as of February 15<sup>th</sup>.

Kelly : I think we are fine for the beginning of the year. We still have two trials to do. Anything else, Peg?

Peggy : No, not really. There have been 14 withdrawals and 3 deposits. They about equaled each other out.

Kelly : Nothing more regarding money? I think we can move on. I think the show went well. Chuck, anything you want to say?

Chuck : I think it was a success, except for the size of the ring and people flopping down. Gwen took a little longer to get back to her hotel. She didn't want to go out to dinner. The AKC rep wanted to do an evaluation on her judging. She had not experienced that before. She and Laura discussed it with him.

Kathy : Was there a complaint made?

Kelly : These evaluations seem to happen out here more.

Chuck : Nothing negative came out of it.

Kelly : We did two raffle baskets. Had \$90 donated from club members. We made about \$200. Had a new crate, leashes. Had a coffee basket and

a dog basket. We were testing it to see how it came out. Maybe the board could put some money in and we can make more baskets.

Kelly : Lynn does a fabulous job with hospitality. She is turning it over to Linda. I think the sandwiches were put out too early for the lunches. Gwen was told she could eat with Plum Creek. Kelly got no food. This happened in October as well. Our exhibitors and judges have to come first. We need to plan better...it's just a little off on timing.

Chuck : There are two possible ways to go. We either need to police it or put the food out later for lunch.

Kathy : Keep the lunch food hidden until lunch time.

Kelly : That's what I was thinking.

Peggy : There was a lot of grazing, probably due to having no other vendor.

Kelly : Chuck, are you chairing for October? Hildy said she would help if you are. If you are not, she isn't going to do it.

Chuck : I will co-chair with Hildy.

Kelly : I think Linda is taking over for Lynn. Chuck, do you want to do a chili thing like in October?

If we keep an evening show we can't do a sweeps. We can do a supported show if we want to do a sweeps. Last time we had a designated show. We can do one with CDHA and then call it supported. We won't have to buy ribbons, just rosettes. The bulk of everyone enjoyed it the way we did it. There was more time to chat. Last October we didn't have a sweeps. CDHA does sweeps, best puppy, etc.

Chuck : Is that what we want to do?

All agreed.

Peggy : It was a lot more relaxed.

Kelly : Hildy has suggested Sherry McLennan. She has cattle dogs and border collies. Caitlin co-owns a dog with her. We don't need to worry about finding a sweeps judge.

Chuck : Could we offer a free entry to all puppies that are also entered in the specialty? If you support with an entry in the specialty you get a free entry.

Peg : It gives something back and it would be fun.

Chuck : If this is under CDHA could we make it a free entry?

Kelly : No. Don't know how that would work. I will ask Hildy. We might need to reach out to CDHA. We don't want to have a sweeps that they have to pay for.  
Any questions?

Kelly : Earlier I sent out the audit. Thanks, Cindy! It was hard logistically to get Peg, Janet, and Kelly together at the same time.

Cindy : I think that will go far toward fixing discrepancies. Thanks to Peggy and Kelly for getting documents and answering questions.

Kelly : May 2012 through May of 2015. We need to approve or disapprove this report. If it is approved we can send it to the membership. It was something that needed to be done. Peg, was this your 12<sup>th</sup> year? Did Diane take over for Jean or vice versa?

Peggy : Jean took over from Diane.

Kelly : We need to approve or disapprove this report.

Kathy : One question regarding membership dues. The report states that previously there was a spreadsheet with members' names, etc. and that process will be reinstated. What was done in the interim?

Peggy : Everyone was listed and what they paid was checked off.

Chuck : Cindy's statement of no evidence of fraud was perfect. There are holes that are existing and we have to live with that.

Cindy : There will always be discrepancies. Given time covered and the use of an archaic system, it was remarkably good. Show reports must

have substantiation to check against. Things were being carefully monitored.

Chuck : Are we at the point of making a motion?

Peggy : It looks well the way it stands.

Kelly : Do we need a motion; can we just vote?  
All in favor? All ayes. No one opposed.

Kelly : Kathy, do you want to send it out?

Kathy : Sure, I will send it with the minutes.

Kelly : So how many years back do we start destroying records?

Kathy : Any AKC or CCoF A guidance in that regard?

Cindy : I'm thinking seven years is a benchmark. 2010. Any reason we would want to save show reports? We have archives of meetings. I don't think we need it for financial records. That is my recommendation.

Kelly : Peg, I think we should be keeping our catalogs. Do you know who would have them?

Peggy : Jean gave me a box. It is probably in the garage.

Kelly : For historical purposes.

Peggy : I will check what things we have. Chuck, do you have some from the last few shows?

Chuck : Yes. Great thing to keep in the club archives.

Peggy : I have some Collieologies, too.

Kelly : Ready to make a motion on 2010 and forward to keep and destroy before 2010?

I make a motion to destroy financial records for 2009 and back, saving catalogs if any are found.

Kathy : Seconded. No one opposed.

Kelly : How do we want to set about having audits> Every year, every other? Cindy, what do you recommend?

Cindy : How about every other year or when Treasurer changes?

Kelly : So, May of 2017?

Cindy : We stopped in May because that is when Jo took over and the bank changed over. Rather than doing May of 2017, we could do the beginning of January in 2018. We would have two full years of 2016 and 2017.

Kelly : Good plan.. Come year end of 2017, start audit in January of 2018. If Peggy doesn't run for Treasurer we would have to do an audit. New officers take over in June.

Cindy : Structurally it doesn't make sense to have one every time the Treasurer changes.

Kelly : In the event Peggy doesn't run? We want to all be on the same page. The new Treasurer would start in June with a new hanging file, correct?

Cindy : I am trying to think what a new Treasurer would need from the old records.

Kelly : Peg, do you reference old records?

Peggy : Not really

Cindy : I think the new Treasurer should receive the old records. The systems are working and we are moving forward.

Kathy : I agree the new Treasurer should receive the old records.

Chuck : Hildy gave me all the old records.

Peggy : We vote on the May weekend of the show. The Show Report should be finalized before being turned over.

Kelly : When records are turned over, should there be a witness? I don't want an "I didn't get it" versus "I gave it to you."

Cindy, Kelly, I agree. Devise a list of types of records to be transferred.

Kelly : They are all documents that should be transferred. If they are missing something they will need to speak up.

Cindy : Practically speaking – I don't think you can go through every single file. Have a checklist in the folder and they can see that the checklist is correct.

Kelly : The Treasurer needs to do their job. I don't think the witness has to check everything. You have to trust the Treasurer. I would like to think it would be a very quick exchange. Shouldn't have to go through everything.

Cindy : Check that every show report is there. I think it would be good to check 5 – 7 folders.

Kelly : You are asking witnesses to check on the Treasurer.

Cindy : What if something is missing?

Kathy : You should not expect the witness to check everything. It is the responsibility of the Treasurer.

Kelly : We had a trophy returned to us – nothing but a trophy in a box. Do we want to enforce restrictions on a witness?

Cindy : Peg has all of her records. There is also a file that has 12 bank statements. I would look at the box to be sure there is a folder for each show and count 12 pieces of paper.

Kelly : The incoming Treasurer would not look at old Treasurer records. I can't see why a witness would want to take that responsibility.

Kathy : That puts all the responsibility on the witness.

Cindy : What do we want the witness to witness?

Kelly : What happens if something falls out when those records are opened? They should not be opened without the prior Treasurer.

Cindy : Then they can assume that the old docs are complete.

Kelly : There is no reason to go back to prior years. If there is a legitimate reason to go back there should be someone to be there.

Cindy : It should go to the board. Newer records should be checked at transfer. The incoming Treasurer should check them. Peggy – should the last year be in a separate box?

Kelly : I like that – nothing could get mixed up or lost. Would past Treasurer have to give up receipts?

Kathy : I think it is a good idea from a continuity standpoint.

Peggy : They wouldn't need it.

Cindy : The checkbook is going to cross years.

Peggy : Would be able to go back and look at them.

Cindy : At the end of 2016 – put a line through the checkbook...except there would be outstanding checks. It would have to be going forward.

Peggy : I would like to think about that.

Kelly : You are running for Treasurer and you will be Treasurer. We don't know when we will need a new Treasurer.

Cindy : At some point it will become an issue. If we talk about the hypothetical then we will already have discussed and decided.

Kelly : Peg, do you have all the years together in one hanging folder?

Peggy : They are all together.

Kelly : Put in your agenda to separate them into years. There will be no reason to go back into them.

Peggy : That makes sense. End of the year file can go straight to the auditor.

Kelly : Anything else on the audit? Let's move on. Anything else to bring up?

Donine : We had the meeting... I thought we should communicate about the CCA basket. We need to let people know.

Kelly : Laura is putting the basket together. Patrick needs to send an email letting the club know about the basket. It is falling to the board. Was Jan Baynton collecting for the northern part and Angie for the southern? I am not sure if we have the right people? Typically the club donates money for the basket. Was it \$100 or \$150 last year?

Cindy and Chuck will call Patrick. Peggy, can you buy Colorado stuff?

Kathy : It will be in the minutes too.

Kelly : What did we do last year? How generous do we feel?

Cindy : Let's do \$125.

Donine : Motion to donate \$125.

Kelly : Seconded. Peggy, you will go shopping for Colorado stuff.

Cindy : I will call Patrick and tell him to send an email. I will let him know the board is spending \$125.

Kelly : The members need a deadline.

Donine : We could mail stuff to Laura.

Cindy : We will need to tell everyone Laura's address.

Kelly : Meeting adjourned at 9:21 pm