

**Board Meeting Minutes**  
**Collie Club of Colorado**

**February 17, 2016**

Meeting called to order at 7:35 p.m.

Attendees: Kelly Neeley, Patrick Wentworth, Peggy Heywood, Kathy Mesler, Chuck Crone, Cindy Cornelius, and Joann Romero

Treasurer's Report

Peggy: Wells Fargo balance = \$7,375.89 as of February 12.

Excel: keeping up with the sheet. All the formulas aren't in there any more so they will have to be put in. I don't have the same version as Jo – not sure whether she used a Mac or not.

Cindy: She was using a very different version. Don't know how hard it would be to recreate.

Peggy: Do we still need to do it?

Patrick: I would say yes. The more transactions the more robust it is to do it on paper.

Kelly: I disagree.

Peggy: Every time you do an addition or subtraction you need to put in a new formula.

Patrick: Every time you put in a new formula it should remember that.

Peggy: I thought so too, but it needs to be put in every single time. There is a line for debits, credits, and total. It should automatically subtract or debit, but it doesn't.

Cindy: There is a huge compatability problem, I would be happy to help you do it.

Peggy: I have already put the formulas in, but it doesn't continue.

Cindy: I would like to take a look at it, but off the meeting.

Kelly: Do we need to start a new file?

Patrick: I think it's worth it to have Cindy take a look at it first.

Cindy: I would like to try.

Kelly: With looking over the Treasurer's Report, Patrick – have you been reimbursed for the cake and champagne and ham at the Christmas party?

Patrick: Rick and I donated the champagne. It was \$39.95 for the ham and cake.

Peggy: When I see you I will get the actual receipts.

Kelly: Treasurer's Report accepted.

#### Corresponding Secretary Report

Chuck: Macie and Joan Kirkland have been approved by the AKC. Do not have an approval for a Rally besides the one on April 8<sup>th</sup>. I will email Event Operations tomorrow. Probably an oversight on AKC's part in sending the approval. We are in conjunction with Flatirons. They have \$24.00 in fees for those two days. We should keep it at that level so our event won't be shunned. Should the Board approve this?

Patrick: That could be true but we pay \$3.75 per entry to AKC and to the secretary.

Kelly: Probably would recommend an increase to \$26.00. I think Rally people would pay \$4.00 more.

Peggy: What if it goes up next year; it would be worse.

Kelly: Our expenses are increasing. Are we stuck at \$24.00 and \$20.00, Chuck?

Chuck: I will try to recommend it.

Kelly: What does everyone think?

Kathy: I think the \$26.00 fee is fair. Everyone's prices are going up.

Patrick: There aren't as many Rally entries as conformation.

Kelly: Every entry costs us money.

Peggy: I don't see why we can't go back to our regular \$28.00. We aren't an all-breed club.

Chuck: I will take what you want up the flagpole. What do you want, \$26.00 or \$28.00?

Kelly: The Obedience people want to get the points just like we do. They want to get their dogs out when they are ready. \$4.00 should not make much difference. Chuck, anything else?

Chuck: Need to do parent club application. Need to contact Cathy Drabik.

Patrick: Entries at \$28.00 with 100 entries, taking out \$7.00 per entry and the cost of ribbons. Should be \$2100.00 for gross profit. 125 entries at \$24.00 would be at \$2,375.00. \$28.00 with 75 entries = \$1,575.00 gross profit.

\$24.00 with 100 entries = \$1,700 gross profit.

25 per cent less seems really low.

Kelly: I agree. Does anybody participate in Obedience or Rally? Do they spend money in classes?

Patrick: It depends.

Chuck: I think if someone looks at it and sees that they are all consistent then \$12.00 shouldn't matter.

Kelly: All these people will have to take off work on Friday for our show.

Joann: Frankly, I would like to keep it at \$24/\$20. I think it's nice.

Kelly: Then why did we raise our fees in April for our Specialty? I don't know how Terry-All is keeping their fees at \$24.00. Will they start increasing their grooming space fees?

Patrick: I support you.

Joann: Are some clubs getting some kind of discount? Especially if they come every year.

Patrick: Motion to change fee to \$26/\$22.

Kathy: Seconded. Happy medium.

Trophy Committee

Peg: Corresponding with Sue. I agree with her that Dean's items are better suited for our raffle table.

Patrick: My same thought. What trophies?

Peggy: Better to ask Kelly.

Kelly: Bones only show with a back-up of toys. Picked up items from Leslie. Items for trophies for October. The quality of Dean's items?

Peg: Excellent condition. Haven't seen them all but what I saw was excellent.

Patrick: Sounds good.

Peggy: The Committee has become aware of an incident. The Challenge trophy has not been returned for two consecutive years for engraving and to put on the table at our Specialty as required by AKC. The catalog states the trophy will remain with CCC until retired.

Peggy: Two years in a row.

Kelly: It is a priority to give back the trophy. It brings into question if we should allow these trophies to go out. If you get a trophy and forget to return it, you should be on probation.

They need to be returned two months prior to the show in order to get them engraved.

Joann: AKC requires the trophy to be on the table.

A discussion ensued which resulted in the decision that from now forward a person who receives the Challenge Trophy must return at the specified date. Many ideas for how to proceed with a solution were presented and a vote was taken during the following month. The board has decided that if the trophy is not returned, said person will be not be allowed to take home a trophy for one year.

## April Show Report

Kathy : Will call Kelly Roche tomorrow.

Peggy : I vote for Joann to make calls for donations.

Patrick: Should be wrapped up by March 15<sup>th</sup>. I will donate \$25 for Veteran Sweeps.

Peggy and Kelly Roche will donate for Puppy Sweeps.

Kelly: Budget-wise we need to figure out Hospitality. \$125.00 from Lynn.

Two shows, two judges, extra steward to feed but will need to go up a little bit more. Tell Lynn to do a pot luck again.

Patrick: I agree to some degree. Terry-All electric is not as easily accessible and there is a dirt floor.

Peggy: Just do doughnuts in the morning.

Kelly: From experience with two shows and no food. We don't want to pay out \$500.00 for food. I know there is a kitchen in the back. It's nice to be able to offer something. Maybe we should leave it up to Lynn.

Patrick: Maybe \$175.00. We have done it before.

Kelly: \$50.00 for straight Hospitality – doughnuts. The rest for the judges and stewards.

Patrick: \$125.00 for lunches and \$75.00 for Hospitality.

Peggy: People can't set up til 4:00 so there won't be as many people in the morning.

Kelly: Joann?

Joann: I think it would be nice to have food there.

Patrick: We usually have more food than people.

Joann: We go above and beyond. We have the money. I don't see why we couldn't do the pot luck even with the dirt floor.

Kelly: If you had to buy a box lunch; \$10.00 for 15 people. I think \$150.00 for judges and stewards and \$50.00 for doughnuts, etc.

Patrick: I am more comfortable with \$125 for lunches and \$75 for doughnuts (Hospitality). Motion for \$125.00 and \$75.00.

Kelly: I am OK with your numbers. Wanted to give Lynn an idea in case she doesn't want to do the pot luck.

Taken care of judges gifts. 3 x \$50 for judges  
\$25 for Macie.



Need to work on the Obedience Stewards. Macie is doing Juniors for the second show.

Kelly: Joann is stewarding for the first show.

Patrick: Need to get volunteers, Kathy.

The club has narrowed the judges for CDHA

Bill Brokken (CA)

Linda Davis (CA)

Patrick: Should we have Macie do it?

Kelly: I'm OK with that.

Patrick: I am going to say people get one vote.

Kelly: We have a couple of life members who did not pay. Do they get to vote?

Peggy: No. Email me the people that can't vote.

Patrick: I will send an email to Macie.

Stephanie came to the meeting with her husband. Seemed very nice and engaged.

Kelly: Did anyone volunteer to do a write-up for Dean Porta?

Patrick: Did not have time.

Joann: Meet the breed on June 12<sup>th</sup>. Did I get that wrong?

Patrick: Lynn and ?

Joann: I am the chair so I can't do it that day.

Patrick: Set up a nominating committee - Lynn, Shelly, and Janet. Lynn is the chair.

Kelly: I can email the club asking members to send in their write-up for Dean Porta.

Are we using the same contract for the Sweeps judges as the one we pay for the judges?

Cindy: I thought our contract was a little more detailed. I think it should say "enthusiastically" rather than "overwhelmingly". I like how the Collie Clan spelled out very clearly what the club will pay for.

Chuck: If you look above that, it says we can pay for certain expenses. We can cover costs related to ground and air transportation, lodging and meals, and parking.

Patrick: Hildy clearly went back to her original contract. I think we should use the CA contract.

Chuck: I am more than willing to use anything.

Discussion followed regarding needed changes to the CA contract.

Kelly: We will need to separate contracts – one tailored toward conformation and one tailored toward OB/Rally.

Chuck: Karen Lamb will do our OB judges.

Kelly: We will furnish two nights lodging. Change “we will pay \$20 per day for travel days – it is not enough.

Patrick: If it is lunch and dinner for one day it is pretty meager. Up to \$40 you could do \$10 for lunch and \$30 for dinner.

Kelly: We can agree to pay up to \$50 because they have to turn in receipts to be reimbursed. Patrick – should we do \$40 or \$50?

Patrick: I wouldn't go higher than \$50.

Chuck: Let's go up to \$40.

Kelly: OK, that sounds good.

Patrick and Kathy: I agree.

Patrick: We have had some judges get rental cars and it has worked well.

Kelly: Remove the rental car statement from the CA contract and put in club must approve a rental car in advance in the event it is necessary.

Kelly: \$10 per day for airport parking not to exceed three days. Seems a little low doesn't it?

Patrick: We could amend it.

Kelly: Do we need to change it?

Peggy: I think it needs to be higher.

Patrick: If we only give them \$15/day and they don't like it they can pay the difference. I think \$15 is fair.

Kelly: I think \$15 sounds good.

Cindy: The garage is \$24/day.

Kelly: For reimbursement of expenses club must receive a dated, printed, receipt.

Once we get this new contract to the Board, we can look it over and see if we need to tweak it.

Chuck: I can save it and put in the amendments.

Kelly: Have you sent anything out to Brenda Miramon, Chuck?

Chuck: No.

Patrick: Email her and let her know we will get a contract out to her.

Chuck: I will get an email out to her tonight.

Patrick: The picnic at Haydee's. We don't need to do that for AKC compliance, right?

Kelly: We don't need to hold the Match at the picnic. Is it going to be a member's only event?

Patrick: I can see it both ways.

Kelly: Peggy, can you get a count for any people at last year's party the actually joined the club? I think it is a club decision not a Board decision.

Patrick: At Haydee's picnic there were a lot of groups and I don't think anyone joined.

Joann: If we open everything up to everyone what would be the reason to join? They don't help or anything.

Patrick: Probably should make it a club vote.

Kelly: We will discuss it at the next general meeting in April.

Patrick: Vote for judges for supported entries. Kelly: When do we want to have that completed – by March 1<sup>st</sup>?

Kelly: Yeah, sounds good. Any other business?

Motion to adjourn the meeting.

Kathy: Seconded.

Meeting adjourned at 9:35 pm.